Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-25, 14:01   Link #269
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Change for the sake of change is bad, and sometimes it is what corporations do in order to keep the public interested, not because they have something great to offer. They change the trademark font or style, they change packages, they change whatever, all for no reason other than to provoke a response and have the people keep talking. WHY is what MS is doing a change with a point and not a change for change. I haven't seen anyone actually prove that a Start Screen is that much more beneficial than the Start button.
First, I think you meant the Start menu? Windows 8 has two software Start "buttons."

With that out of the way, actual benefits would depend on the user's actual use. The Start screen provides live tiles capability for non-desktop apps, semantic zoom, app grouping and labeling, and a full screen experience which allows more apps and search results to be shown at once.

That said, the reason that makes the Start screen not just change for the sake of change is that it allows Microsoft to provide one interface that would work better with touch and with keyboard + mouse than the Start menu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Actually unless somehow metro apps aren't backward compatible (which I believe they are) I'll be sticking to win7 for a long long while.
What do you mean by backwards compatible? If you mean that they would be installable on earlier versions of Windows, then they won't. If you mean that they would interoperate with their desktop versions that could be installed on earlier versions of Windows, then it depends on the app developer.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote