View Single Post
Old 2007-09-12, 16:56   Link #20
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Garylisk Send a message via AIM to Garylisk Send a message via MSN to Garylisk Send a message via Yahoo to Garylisk
Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
Why do people restore or sup-up cars, why do people try to have the most up to date powerful computers, why do people get so involved in anything? Because any hobby you spend A LOT of time on you are going to slowly build up a sense of pride as well as a sense of rivalry with others doing the same thing. The only improvements I've seen in the community lately is video quality. Flashier karaokes and same day releases aren't something I'd call improvements. Sadly if anything the community itself is more fractured and divided than ever. People aren't having open wars much anymore, they are doing the opposite. Hiding in their groups being less and less social with the rest of the community.

Not saying that everyone or every group is that way. I've just noticed a major drop in intergroup activities as well as the chats in group channels. Most channels are like sitting in a autojoin graveyard now. Been coming to this for awhile. Oh well... maybe something good will come of it, who knows.
I dunno if I'd call some of the older same-day releases with quick and dirty encodes, subs with LOTS of mistakes, and timing errors, "something someone has spent a lot of time on" - Most warring groups of the past who wanted their leet DL count were spending a hell of a lot less time, so quality dropped. At least nowadays there's a jump in quality.

And I certainly hope a Wiki project like this will help bring the community together, as well as maybe help out the name of fansubbers as a whole. I don't know about everyone, but I have been called an elitist just on the pretense that I am a fansubber. Someone literally sent me a message that said "Oh, I see that you're a fansubber, and you make AMVs. I know your type, you elitist bastard."

To which I said "What the hell... How am I elitist by having two of the NERDIEST hobbies known to man?"

Anyway, I'm gonna work on the wiki a bit later on, all the info gathered here should prove wonderfully useful.

And Martino - I'm not ignoring your post. I'll respond just by saying that the main advantage of this is that it is a wiki. And you make a good point, there could be an opportunity for this to become something of an all-out comparison wiki. However, I don't see it happening any time too soon.
Garylisk is offline   Reply With Quote