Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-04-02, 03:21   Link #12869
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm biased in that I've come to the position over my life that most ultra-zealots for any religion are flaming loonies and idiots... anyone willing to commit violence "for their religion". The pastor is a loonie too... but I'm what you might call a "relative relativist": any moral system that encourages violent acts in response to non-violent acts is axiomatically evil. She got raped? Oh, lets stone *her* instead of the perp. There really isn't any defense for that value system.
I agree with you except on one thing: that "burning the koran" is non-violent. That's actually what the pastor wants you to think. Sure the action in itself is, just like pulling a trigger is non-violent until the gun powder explodes. I remember the guy had threatened to burn the koran before, and some official with very high position (Gates?) called him and said this is bad: it would put a lot of people in the mideast in danger. So the pastor is fully aware that there is a predetermined mechanism in place with foreseeable consequence: just like pulling a trigger, and that's what happened.