View Single Post
Old 2008-03-12, 16:58   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
But still, if anyone has some suggestions I'm open to them. Another idea I'm toying with is upping the votes from two to three. That might allow some sigs that might otherwise get passed up a chance to get some votes.
I'd been considering a similar idea: have one vote for every 10 entries (so ≤10 entries gives people one vote, ≤20 is two, ≤40 is four, etc.)

The problem is that beyond a certain point it gets too difficult to sort. Even with five votes, sorting through 50 entries would be very difficult, especially since we can't really see them all at once or do side-by-side comparisons too easily. Also, with more votes people may just start throwing votes away. Having the votes limited makes them carry a bit more weight in people's minds.

A nomination phase could work, but another play on that idea would be to have sub-competitions, a sort of bracket system. I'm not hard-core enough to be able to come up with bracket categories, but off the top of my head I'm thinking of animated signatures, render signatures, and crop signatures (there are probably more). The distinction between crops and renders isn't always apparent, so people would have to submit to each sub-category on an honor system. Have the top two or three sub-category winners go up in a final SOTM round, and there you have it.

There are a few problems with that; renders/crop signatures might still be extremely numerous, and animated sigs might just be Jinto vs. Kira Naruto (just kidding, I know there are more of you animators!)