View Single Post
Old 2009-08-19, 08:23   Link #72
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I've never quite understood why many of my fellow anime fans tend to want to classify characters based on a particular personality type. It's like they're somehow less of a character if they go with out a label attached to them.

I can understand the quick application of such personality type labels to somebody clear-cut, like Shana. Shana is obviously a tsundere; in fact, she probably represents the tsundere personality type as well as any anime character has since Akane Tendo. In my mind, when a modern character is labeled a tsundere, they risk getting put into Shana's shadow... unless they're as perfectly tsundere as she is.

With a truly unique character like Hitagi, I personally think it's better to simply enjoy the breath of fresh air that is a character that isn't easily labeled.

I frequently think that TV Tropes and the like has corrupted our approach to fictional characters; always trying to compartmentalize them, label them, categorize them, and measure them by what came before. Sometimes it's better to simply take a character on his, her, or it's own merits. That's definitely the case with Hitagi, in my opinion.

I doubt that my post here will be well-received, but I felt compelled to write it anyway, since for me, much of the charm of this anime anyway, is how unique most of the characters are. Even Araragi is a bit different from the norm - I see elements personality characteristics in him that are as different from one another as Kyon is from Light Yagami.
Agree..................
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote