View Single Post
Old 2008-08-05, 06:55   Link #564
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
I'll quickly point out that most of the flight deck crew are wearing space suits. Maybe the thought is that any attack on the bridge would never cause light damange so why waste money on a maybe
It's one of the most central places on the ship. Where the most important officers gather. They shouldn't even be fighting from there, but from some place deep in the bowels on the ship. They should seriously put some thought into improving the survivability of the bridge crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
A warship would normally have either an armored command center or some sort of blast shield (or just an energy shield) over the windows...if they aren't in fact some kind of transparent armor.

Now in some universes, a crew that expects to be in combat a lot, their uniforms are spacesuit capable. All they require is a helmet to autoseal it (see Space Battleship Yamato. Their uniforms could not take hard vaccum for long, nor was there much of an external air supply, but it could be enough for emergencies....even if they were bell-bottoms).

However, standard science fiction spacecraft (of civilizations that have be using safe spaceship for years) the crews where normal clothing on duty, even in combat, unless commanded to wear something else (radiation suits at the like). So "confentional wisdom is not what you would call common in most space operas.
Depends. In the last two space opera stuff I read (David Drake's RCN series, and Elizabeth Moon's Vatta Wars), people put on space suits as part of their preparation for battle, even if they didn't seal them or put them on completely. Losing air is so easy, and so fatal.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote