View Single Post
Old 2008-05-04, 16:50   Link #19
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Art Style & Animation
The most amazing thing about the production is the consistent and certainly above average animation quality. Despite employing a multitude of different episode directors and experimenting (actually ... parodying) with several animation styles, the studio (Synergy SP) has done an amazing job at keeping the quality very high. Character designs (by Horiuchi Osamu) are equally worthy of praise, since despite their seer number each and every one is very distinct visually and their personalities are reflected on their sketches.

VA, Music & Sound
Voice acting is very fitting, from a femine Hayate, to a spoiled Nagi, a mature Maria, a timid Isumi, an outgoing Sakuya, a kind Ayumu and last but not least the popular Hinagiku. All actresses have done their best to provide to their roles distinct characteristics. Music on the other hand is the trivial happy-go-lucky j-pop (not my thing), but it is quite fitting with the mood of the show and the lyrics are at least relevant (though as with pop, quite idiotic). Finally the overall sound adds to the light atmosphere.

Plot & Character Development
Now here comes the difficult part. Hayate no Gotoku! is a cross between parody and harem and with this in mind I expected the plot to be non-existant and character development absent. To my surprise, both are present, though not to my satisfaction. Though the major characters are given quite a lot of background rarely they are affected by the events taking place within the contemporary timeframe of the series. But at least, they are funny, lovable and most importantly consistent, which for its gerne is much more important in order to make the show enjoyable. As for a plot there are some multi-episode arcs, but for the most part the show retains its episodic nature, which is not necessarily negative, since it makes it easier to watch.

Overall
Well, in conclusion, it was a really fun ride for a whole year, no episode was boring, some episodes I have watched several times, animation, art and sound are very good and consistant ... so where is the problem? Actually there isn't any ... granted this is neither Laine nor EVA, but if you want something relaxing and funny without downgrading your intelligence, Hayate no Gotoku! should be one of your top picks ;-)

For a more comprehensive treat check my blog (lot of images, including all eye-catches)