View Single Post
Old 2008-02-23, 13:33   Link #53
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeStone View Post
Alright, anime-suki'ers! This is your chance!

My wife has finally caved and decided to watch a single season of anime of my choosing provided it's a mystery series. Now she's somewhat of an uptight person (so no ecchi). Give me some suggestions that will leave her in awe! Try (if possible) to stay away from action-oriented animes. Some action in a mystery is a given, though.

Thanks!
Definitely Monster. Especially so since it's really intended for mature audiences and therefore has fewer of the idiosyncrasies of anime that turn people off. (Moe-fetishism. Those irritating nose-bleeding jokes. A somewhat uniform stylization template. Excessive weirdness of some settings, whether warranted by the story or not.) Monster plays itself very straight and serious.

It's definitely a "what happens next?" kind of show and I don't feel there's ever a wasted episode. It also displays some of anime's greater strengths, where a lot of the stories actually progresses and eventually reaches a resolution instead of repeating the same set pieces over-and-over for cash. This only occurs rarely in Western television. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, like Inu Yasha or Case Closed. And while Case Closed is entertaining in its own right, I wouldn't whip it out for the first-impression "Wow!".

Last edited by Twisted Reality; 2008-02-23 at 13:45.