View Single Post
Old 2006-12-22, 14:50   Link #38
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
To say nothing of Seki Tomokazu and his outfit, or the dance scene, which is an instant classic, or the monster and the battle, or the ending on Yuuichi's anger with the student council pres.
Monster? Are you sure it was just one? From the looks of how it was choreographed, it felt like there were several (plus the super bogus one that Mai finished in the end). Why would she be swinging her sword as she paced towards the center of the court? Whatever! I'm just being picky. >_>

I wouldn't necessarily call Kanon being subtle in their way of story telling. They're pretty much spitting everything out as we progress. This episode in particular dumped several important facts to us. Twice we go to Yuuichi's past - once more than we are use to seeing. Shiori's last name, which has consequences to another character. Ayu gets Yuuichi thinking about Nayuki. And of course, Mai's transitioning personality and her clandestine behaviors revealed to the public. I wouldn't call those small potatoes.

Are you referring to how the subplot of each girl is mixed into one another? Coming from houkoholic, I would imagine that this kind of interweaving was never attempted in the 2002 series or the game. It's usually simpler to just tell things one at a time - often it's called the lazy way out. To get characters interacting or influencing other characters is the art of storytelling and management. Well managed shows and movies, if they can get it done right, get it done beautifully. It's usually sink or swim.