View Single Post
Old 2012-12-02, 19:38   Link #235
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Suguha's story has every element of a story that fully stands on its on. It's just intertwined in this story so that two connected stories are being told at the same time. You can't lop off one of the two stories and be like "this one doesn't matter!". It's as much a part of this story as everything else.

Again, to be clear, I'm not saying you have to like it.
I think the entire argument here can be settled on this one point and I'm surprised so many people are missing the point you and others have been pointing out.

Many people do not care for Suguha's story and obviously nothing we say is going to change their minds. However, the disagreement stems from the assertion that somehow she could be written out of the story and that'd there be a negligible effect. That's simply untrue because this story has basically been all Suguha, not just how Kirito saves damsel in distress Asuna from the evil clutches of Suguo. What gives this arc its weight is Suguha's story more so than Kirito's, which isn't terribly interesting anyways.

This is not to say that there isn't something to be said about the frustration of some viewers here. A lot of viewers came to like SAO because of Kirito x Asuna, which dominated a lot of the first arc, and this arc feels like a cheap way to deprive them of their relationship in the story we are seeing so far. In that sense, you could see Suguha's story as an unnecessary diversion if your only goal in this series is to watch Kirito and Asuna. I still do not think this holds much weight in the end though because the story has definitely been about more than just Kirito and Asuna's romance.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote