View Single Post
Old 2011-06-12, 19:10   Link #17
Irisiel

Well, she didn't just elope, she eloped with her debt ridden boyfriend and dumped her daughter on her mother, then she returned on yet another whim seemingly without ever having intended to marry the guy. So to the bosses, they might think her flaky and be a bit miffed.

But they wouldn't fire her for that. Their real reason for firing her would be to cover up the bribe and libel. But they would say that they fired her because they suddenly had to change around schedules or something when she first eloped, which caused trouble. (Or rather using the excuse that she suddenly took out some vacation time and changed a lot of her work, forcing co-workers to pick up on the work she usually would do around the office.)

And most regular journalists that I know work nine-to-five, five days a week at the work place, and only leaving while on work assignments, so I was being generous with the checking in a few days each week (usually reserved for journalists who live several hours away from work). Both my parents and most of their work-mates and colleagues on a rival newspaper do. Magazines are slightly different because of their different schedules, but it's possibly that Satsuki's job does more than one magazine (considering that they have a decently sized office in the city and several employees).

You can see then why I'm slightly wondering about what her bosses thought about her suddenly disappearing on them. And slightly suspicious why they choose just her to do it (if it wasn't merely for plot reasons).

Anyway, I just put forward why I thought that Satsuki took a gamble, considering that now when Ohana knows, she can probably count on damaging her relations with her mother, brother and daughter, and considering how many inns they pissed off at the same time, and that her bosses already have a reason (contrived, yes, but a reason) to fire her without bribes and libel ever entering legal courts.

I'm more interested in how childish she is. It is as if she refuses to grow up out defiance of her mother and her own motherhood. She makes Ohana take care of her instead of the other way round. She elopes on a whim, and on another whim, changes her mind and comes home, without telling Ohana, possibly even revelling in the freedom without a child.

It's as if she feels a huge resentment towards responsibility itself, the way she refuses to apologise when it wont cost her anything, and the way she acts altogether.