Thread: Crunchyroll Nichijou
View Single Post
Old 2011-03-16, 16:34   Link #97
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama
This test of a Kyoani production versus my ability to maintain interest should prove fascinating indeed.
Although we all know how this is going to end up by now, don't we?

Anyway... I tried to give it a go last night and was sorely disappointed by it. Or, well, I don't think disappointed is the best word to say because I'd read a bit of the manga and it definitely didn't click with me, but I guess I was expecting Kyoto to spice things up a bit, as they sucessfully did with K-ON! in a couple of episodes. Didn't happen.

Production wasn't really bad, but I guess it wasn't exactly good either. Although most of the well animated scenes from that small PV turned out to be from this episode zero, which was nice. But then what actually bothered me the most were the couple of scenes where they had no background whatsoever with just the character standing in a corner while doing something. I'm not sure if it was trying to mimick those blank panels in gag manga, which are often common, but it didn't really work very well animated. Which isn't to say that it does work in manga format, either, but I guess it's something that people just ignore or grew used to. So, yeah, in a nutshell, it didn't feature anything amazing, but it also didn't have anything that looked bad. As panzerfan put it, playing it safe would actually describe it very well.

That said, the characters and the story (or complete lack thereof) are what's hurting this show the most. We get it, it's a gag manga, but the whole episode felt like watching a bunch of characters do and talk about absolutely nothing. In a way, it was a lot like the very first episode of Lucky Star, although the latter at least had the whole "I don't quite believe they're discussing how to start eating this chocolate thing" factor, which at least made it amusing in some way.

Overall though... I'll probably check again when the real show starts airing, but my expectations are as low as they can be. It's not like they ever were high to begin with, but this little OAD did little to help that. At this point, it's a shame, but I can hardly see Kyoto ever being contracted to work on anything but these kind of shows. I'll still check them out for anything visually interesting, which, I'm sure, will still show up every episode or two considering the staff that's working on it, but unless there's some huge improvement I can't see myself enjoying the thing as a whole.

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-03-16 at 16:46.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote