Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-26, 08:25   Link #22668
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I think a lot of people dislike how apply restricts the activities of it's customers. For me, with my PC (be it windows or linux), I feel like I can use it exactly how I want, I can install the programs I want, I can use whatever functionality I want, I'm free to choose from a dozen different alternatives, and those alternatives often can be configured to use however I like.

With Apple, I feel like I have to use the device the way the late Steve wanted. He would choose what programs would come on my machine, and he would force me to use certain programs to interface with certain devices. It's particularly acute with the device side of things (iPad, iPod, iPhone), where with the iPod I'm forced to go through iTunes, and buy music from the iTunes store. With the iPhone/iPad, i can only download apps that Steve approves of, and I can't change the way the OS works.

It's basically vendor lock in. They don't use any industry standards. Their wires use non-standard plug, so you have to buy over priced wires from apple. You can't directly interface with your iPod from your PC (instead you have to go through iTunes), they even use nonstandard screws so you can't even open up your iWhatever if you wanted to. All this is to lock you in to using overpriced apple products and services, and prevent you from using third parties. With a Dell PC, I don't have to go to Dell for my wires, or repairs, I can go to any number of third party companies, who may be cheaper and provide a better service. What Apple does is like the worst of Microsoft's business's practices in the 90s, but on a whole level higher.

Given that computer's are such a central part of most of our lives, and we tend to often form a personal connection with our machines, I find that lack of control and options to be poor, and very bad for the customer, and forces them to pay more money for products that are no better then what the rest of the market offers.

Open platforms, like the PC are the future.