Thread: Smoking
View Single Post
Old 2009-04-04, 06:32   Link #527
Woodchips
つかれた!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
I also don't understand the need for such a stress-reliever. If you're making good money and have a family such that you don't need to worry about everyday price tags and like the work you do, what other stress is there?
Eh, that's a little naive.

Life can't really simplified so easily. There are lots of things that cause stress, and they can sometimes snowball.

Jobs carry inherent stressors: Some jobs are defined by deadlines employees have to work toward, projects to be rounded up, appointment times to keep, business trips to make, bad bosses, bad employees, crappy customers etc etc etc.

And this is only looking at work-life, let alone the stresses of making house repayments, car repayments, bills coming in, unexpected health issues, education costs, organising holidays, injuries the list goes on and on.

There are many things that cause stress, and many ways of dealing with that. Cigarettes happen to help people deal psychologically and physiologically with the symptoms of stress. If you ask me it's not a very good way of doing it, but it is effective.

While I don't like cigarettes, I don't really like people simplifying the issue of smoking down quite so quickly. It's a multifaceted addiction and therefore needs to be treated as such.
Woodchips is offline   Reply With Quote