Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-16, 11:41   Link #5420
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah, so? That's no reason it couldn't work. Basically, what you've said is that if it works so well it displaces real meat, it'll... displaces real meat. What kind of argument is that?

Besides, what you've cited is merely a possibility, depending on a number of factors, such as "how close to real meat can they make it" and "how cheap can they make it". Also note, for now, their ambition is sausage and maybe minced meat. That's a far cry from replacing everything.
I am quite lost in your query for my argument part, so I'll just ignore it.

Minced meat and sausages comes from cutting the size of large chunks of meat into smaller sizes, so if they can make small chunks of meat equivalent to minced ones, why not larger chunks in properly controlled environments? This is what will replace natural meat.

Then again, it might not be possible. My next explanation will answer that.

Quote:
Maybe, but they didn't say how much they could hope to produce from just one good harvest. US$ 1,000 may seem like a lot for 100g of sausage. But what abot a ton? 10 tons?
Erm I think you have been misinformed. I remember this biology experiment I had which we have to breed amoeba. We have strict regulations on the equipment we use, and the optimum yield across all of the students are pretty standard. Organisms at microscopic level are very susceptible to heat and pressure, even a single degree or pascal can determine their morphology.

In an incubator, stem cells are to be bred in small and limited numbers. So, I SERIOUSLY doubt that they can produce much with little money.

Quote:
The whole point is to grow meat in vats, in an industrial way. Like we make glue or whatever. If it's as complicated as growing an actual pig, they won't bother, but they're hopeful it won't be. (Well, cultivating cells is easy enough.)
Cultivating from stem cells are not as easy. There are two main kinds embryonic and adult stem cells. From what I have read, they must have used the adult stem cells which are lineage restricted and are limited in cell division, i.e can only subdivide a couple or three times before differentiating itself. There are lots more limitations, but been too many years and I am rather out of touch with biology. No offense, but RTFW (Read The Fine Wikipedia) .

Quote:
Maybe a lot at first. And then, nothing. Besides, there's niche of "starving people" they can fill with cheap food. Not to mention, as the success of junk foods show, the niche of "people who'll eat anything with enough sweeteners and salt in it".
If you read what the genetics expert said, obviously he is an idiot when it comes to market and economic psychology. Please don't reiterate his words because that niche hardly exists in abundance other than in third worlds, war zones and military camps, and also, some soldiers would rather go hungry than to eat the rations.

I have no bloody idea why do they think like this despite in the middle of nowhere when the alternative source of food is the nearest tree bark boiled in the water from the bottle.

Quote:
Again, the whole point is to grow food in vats. Not to clone pigs and raise them like normal pigs. They won't need pastures.
There are size limitations per vat due to miniscule stuff like electrical conductivity, storage space, shape (surface area), which can affect the internal pressure and temperature INSIDE the vat. The growth of each cell is to be taken seriously, making it tougher and less cause effective. Why? Cancer.

I don't think it is feasible to build a large vat due to scientific and harvesting problems, and building many small vats is neither as cost or space effective. We have housing problems, eviction notices, security, staffing, monitoring, etc etc. Why don't these scientists use their talents to breed a catgirl instead?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.