View Single Post
Old 2011-09-08, 10:43   Link #19
tezu

Okay, I just marathoned through 23 episodes yesterday because I couldn't stop watching once I started the series and there's one thing I'm confused about (actually there's more, but this one bothered me the most, hope you don't mind the stupid question):

Okarin accidentally switched timelines in the first episode, from the beta-timeline in which Kurisu dies to the alpha-timeline in which Mayuri dies. And then he got back to the original timeline, thus "saving" Mayuri by sacrificing Kurisu. But does he really "save" Mayuri? Interventions in the past make a timeline diverge in several timelines, isn't this right? So like John Titor said, if you go back in time to prevent a person getting killed, the timeline splits into two: one in which the person is alive and one in which the person is dead. The alpha-timeline still exists no matter where Okarin is so doesn't it mean that Mayuri still dies...? Does that mean that "saving Mayuri" just means to get the Okarin we know in a timeline where he doesn't see it?