View Single Post
Old 2011-10-26, 08:51   Link #279
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
I'm just not seeing it, though that may have to do with the fact that I've oversaturated myself with American media over the last two years. You may have a point with Japanese media, though. I decided to scan through my MAL and counted a 12 to 9 ratios in terms of endings that were happy to bittersweet or depressing. Of course, I've gone out of my way to avoid harem anime and moe shows such as K-ON and Squid Girl, so I'm not sure about how the ratio would add up with the large influx of those over the last few years.
American series do those kind of things for shock value as well.

Quote:
This is what I was getting at. The idea of using the word “childish” as a form of deprecation irks me, since it implies an obsession with “being very grown up”. If you mean “mindless” or “gimmicky” than it’s just within my pet peeve to use those words, since the other implies more about the speaker than it necessarily does about the topic. Basically, it’s this obsession with watching something, because it’s “mature” that bothers me, though kudos for giving points to Lewis Carol.
See, you yourself were implying was that only series that are dark are good, and you yourself were calling FMA:B and the manga childish yourself, for not being as dark as the 2003 adaptation. You were the one calling FMA:B childish and judging its merits based off of that, which people other members on this forums pointed out made you seem child yourself. So don't even try to get on your high horse now, its already too late.

Quote:
Spoiler for Assessment of FMA Brotherhood:
Actually I would call the 2003 series lolgrimdark as much of its dark components ultimately didn't have a purpose for being there, and was just there to get a response. But storyline wise it doesn't make any sense, and comes across as juvenile. The thing about Lust's character in the 2003 version is that she was meaningless (much like Rose and many other female characters in that story), none of that character development they gave her meant anything overall, quite like much of the series. Actually there are a lot unfortunate implication in the 2003 adaptation both about women (ironic since the original series the adaptation was based on was written and drawn by a woman) and about race in general.

Also the things you just mentioned in FMA:B started before episode 40, Also kirakim is right about "trusting others" being a theme of Brotherhood and the manga, as Ed wouldn't have been able to been able to make it that far, it he didn't trust in others. Though the show never told us this, it showed us this through the actions of the characters and the fact that, it was the trust that they had for one another that ultimately made the coup d'etat successful.

Not series has to have dark elements to be considered good. In fact a series that has dark elements just to have them is not a good series at all. Also as I said before quite a few of the story lines and characters in Brotherhood were actually based off of real people and what they went through so you might want to refrain from even trying to imply that the the story and characters are unrealistic and childish.

Spoiler for off topic:

But again it seems like to you in order for a series to be considered "mature" and good it must have dark elements in it, and I've really gotta say that makes you seem juvenile.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote