View Single Post
Old 2011-05-12, 21:17   Link #802
Nera Sleith
我らがツインテールに、勝る萌え無し!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
Buah, I just saw your edit on the wiki.

And, I should've checked the raw on that one. Well, since く−くるなんて was at the beginning of the sentence, I suggested that we move the 'come', back there. Doesn't really matter though, so long as it's jumbled, since Japanese sentence structure and English sentence structure are inherently different.

Unfortunately, I have no money to buy light novels.

And, what the hell is an incam monitor? I presume she's talking about the video input of the camera attached to the headset?
Incam monitor, I translated that one literally. It's the shorterned term for intercam. I am not sure what intercam is like in Butei, but intercam is like a camera installed in front of one's house (in Japan). Basically, it's a way to see the person outside ringing on your door. The other person can't see you but you can see them in an incoming monitor. In Butei, I guess インカム映像 like is a visual broadcast of the other person you're communicating with.

I changed the order to emphasize the scrambling of phrases. Actually, the direct translation doesn't sound that much off in terms of order when you translate them in English. And yes, it's up to interpretation. It should work as long as sentence is jumbled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
And as another side note, is it weird if I find it easier to understand with kanji than without? I'm starting to develop the bad habit of voicing the kanji I don't know in my head, in Chinese, as I read.
I think it's not only you. I find it easier to read the text with kanjis as well. This is the case for Chinese and also the case for fluent Japanese.

Contrary to non-Japanese speaker, while kanjis are quite intimidating to read, but for those accustomed to them, it facilitates reading instead because it basically relays information directly. In hiragana, it takes a while until it clicks on you what they are saying. Most of the time, a same Japanese words have multiple meaning but the distinction is easily identified if kanji is used instead. Also makes distinction between inflection/particles and vocabularies easier.

Last edited by Nera Sleith; 2011-05-12 at 21:40.
Nera Sleith is offline   Reply With Quote