View Single Post
Old 2014-02-25, 06:44   Link #100
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

After reading the prologue and chapter 1, I guess I will just give up hoping NISA translator(s) don't fail giving the actual nuances.

Leaving aside the issues with the clumsy titles, I found it silly they had to nickname some characters in general. That's arguably obvious they made it so english VA wouldn't have hard time to pronunce some of their names, but it leads to some issues:
-I really REALLY don't think a honor student like Kiyotaka would de facto tell anyone to call him "Taka". He is hell bent into rules and all (which already screw the "moral compass" stuff right from the get go), so nicknames are no go.
-I don't see Makoto doing this either at all, so him using nicknames, especially those who didn't introduce themselves as such doesn't make much sense either (like he used "Hiro" for Hagakure immediately).
-It makes even less sense for Aoi who was nicknamed... Hina. Now, tell me why they need her to have a nickname, despite Aoi is short already? Hell, it is based on her last name, which defeat the purpose of them making characters calling each other by their first name.
-Celestia asking people to call her Celeste instead of Celes. I don't get the need for such change: for all intent and purpose, it is her own choice of nickname, yet she deliberately lower it by only 1 syllabe?
It isn't like "Celes" is anything obscure by any mean.

Meanwhile, the use of first name and extra nicknames actually make the characters relationship too homogeneous, so when you have the likes of Byakuya calling people by their first name only, it lessen his condescending tone (full name and the likes isn't everyone's usual mileage but that's just me I guess).
It also make Hifumi's calling habit vastly more obvious, despite his approach isn't supposed to be like that (even Capcom made Blackquill use "dono" to put emphasis on the samurai-ish speech in AA5 dual destinies).
Likewise, it also change a bit how Aoi is mentioning characters (which lead to situation that people wouldn't really get, like Leon's "Sakura?")

On another note, it had to be said, but whereas the font for dialogue text is fine, their graphic design sucks massively when it comes to image text during trials, especially Makoto's 論破 and the non stop debate / interface text. If you were to compare with the fanmade patch, the latter looks by far cleaner and more pro than NISA's.