View Single Post
Old 2012-04-07, 14:42   Link #249
Athena
The Power of One

If I venture more and go into the world of crazy theories (well, not that crazy), here's a possibility.

The reason why the author decides to have Ayumu cross-dressing as a magical girl would be that it's actually a critic to the stories who have "cool" protagonists swinging a sword and having special hidden techniques and stuffs like this. In order to break the idea that a great protagonist musts be cool and stuffs like that, the author made Ayumu wear crazy outfits (not a cool piece of armor), use a crazy weapon (not exactly the Excalibur-type of weapon) and such. At the same time, he wanted to show that you don't need to have a tsundere, big-mouthed, energic or Yamato Nadeshiko type of girl, but have a mute one. I mean, I don't think anyone here has a girl who doesn't talk as his perfect type of woman, right? (Unless you're married and you have a hard type supporting your wife, but that is another issue.

In this series, you have many absurd things that have a hidden sense to it, whether the creator wanted it or not. And believe me, Kore wa Zombie desu ka? won't be my favourite series if the main character was a dense dude with hidden powers in a cool outfit, if the main heroine was your average tsundere-who-came-out-from-nowhere, if Haruna was your adorable sister, if Sera was your Yamato Nadeshiko, if the enemies were all spiky-head bastards, and I can continue like this.

Phew, that was a huge crazy theory, but what I meant is that making Ayumu transform is part of what makes Kore wa Zombie what we know of it.