Thread: Licensed Mashiro-iro Symphony
View Single Post
Old 2011-12-16, 00:43   Link #1106
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Episode 11 was pretty good, but I had some issues with it.

The blushing was a bit overdone, I felt, although perhaps that was a simple animation issue.

I also wasn't entirely comfortable with how the "romantic losers" were handled. I agree with Chaos2Frozen that their response to not winning over Shingo was overly drastic and harsh. It also felt to me like, to put it in pro wrestling terms, they were simply being used to put Shingo even more "over", and simply put, it wasn't necessary. The Shingo/Miu romance speaks for itself, and says a lot about Shingo in and of itself. I'd rather see Airi and Sana express that they're truly getting over it, not that they're going to give up on romance forever because of one failed crush.

Now, the Shingo/Miu romance itself was nice. I liked it a bit more than similar romantic conclusions in Amagami SS, and the pacing for it was excellent.

One scene that I think is perhaps going a bit unnoticed is the discussion between the adult characters, Airi's mom and Miu's mom. I found that to be a strong and serious scene, with some good dialogue that complimented well the simpler romance that permeated much of the rest of the episode.

All-told, Mashiro-iro Symphony deserves a lot of credit for picking one girl, and sticking with her, and ending on that note. It also deserves considerable credit for not doing anything outlandish in this episode, and sticking to a largely believable narrative. Chances are this will continue to be the case next episode.

On the whole, this has been a mostly pleasant viewing experience, and my rating for Episode 11 is 8/10.