View Single Post
Old 2007-08-17, 17:01   Link #117
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
It's kind of surprising how middle class Asia tends to be a bit low-tech: the Hiiragis don't use the computer much, and I doubt they even have one. Schools discourage the use of technology in learning (imagine my surprise when I learn that American high schools use those huge graphing calculators), and people...just don't use comps that much. They prefer cell phones and handheld video games.
I dunno, I think this is really more a Japanese thing though. In Taiwan and Korea, most people have more than one PCs, and everyone is more tech friendly. In fact, one of the most popular accessories for ladies in Taiwan nowdays is a Windows Smartphone, and that's way before th iPhone days. I see less penetration of PCs in the average Japanese household, definitely. However, the Japanese are savvier when it comes to consumer electronics and they're willing to spend big money on them, as long as the form factor isn't too big. I would say that your average men are more interested in cool gadgets than anime otakus, since in Japan like the rest of Asia, tech knowledge is considered a cool and necessary everyday information for men (and increasing women), rather than a geek (did I use this correctly? ^^; ) thing. In Asia you'll find BAPE-wearing men and Prada-carrying women going gaga over the latest Sony 1080p LCD TV. Tech Geek is part of life, ANIME-Geek is not... yet. ^^