View Single Post
Old 2012-09-19, 17:12   Link #56
Hiking_Bear

Kishi is definitely flirting with some plot holes here. I'm not talking about Rin. Obito's motives for becoming Tobi may turn out to be far-fetched (we'll see), but honestly, if you didn't drop the manga after Itachi's true motives were revealed, or when Nagato did his 180 degree change of heart and revived half of Konoha, then you're not going to bail over Obito's story.

The real problem is the timeline. I'm thinking back to Chapter 560 where Edo-Madara stated that he awakened the Rinnegan shortly before his death. Now, I don't know if this is a mistranslation or if there is some hyperbole in these words, but Madara encountered Obito in the cave perhaps more than 10 years after Nagato already received the Rinnegan. Consequently, these last two chapters seem to contradict Chapter 560. And even though Madara is long-lived, I still wouldn't consider a decade to be a short period of time. A lot can be accomplished in a decade.

Also, why would Madara downgrade his eyes, if he could have kept the Rinnegan for himself? Sure he's feeble and confined to his cave, but think about Nagato's state. Nagato was an emaciated cripple who was confined to his Metagross-chair, and yet he still managed to lead Akatsuki in the capture of several tailed-beasts. At least Madara could walk on his own.

EDIT: One possibility that would clear things up is if Madara words in Chapter 560 were meant to refer to the moment when Nagato summoned the Gedo Mazou against Hanzou. If this is what Madara meant as the moment in time when the Rinnegan truly awakened, then the timeline makes more sense. Although, now that I think about it ... this would introduce another contradiction. Madara must have possessed the awakened Rinnegan at some point, since Tobi stated that Madara was able to becaome the 2nd Six Paths Sage. hmmm....