Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-11, 10:59   Link #450
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
As for Hikaru no Go its lack of female characters is one thing that bothered me about it. I am not really sure if I would call the series sexist for that but its certainly not feminist which Is a bit a shame since it was even written by a woman.

Chihayafuru though doesn't have that issue. The male and female characters are treated equally in the series and we have even seen older women with a love and passion for Karuta. Women have beaten men and men have beaten women in the story.

With the number of competitions in competitive Karuta and only one or two being gender based I don't really think it negates the Empress or Kana's claims that men & women play together equally (and on another note we also see both male & female readers)
I say its just being realistic in terms of the actual Go breakdown population. With the huge population difference, I could say it would benefit for having separate female/male divisions just so the women don't feel so 'outnumbered' If there's even enough women to make a decent separate division in ProGo world.

To be honest, I kind of rolled my eyes at the romanticized speech/advertisement of kurata at the end. Its like "yea i get it, these characters really like kurata"