View Single Post
Old 2008-03-26, 02:19   Link #23
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

Cyberpunk is usually social and philosophical commentary based as it characterizes pieces of society now to show problems in a unique way. Ghost in the shell is a great example of this especially in stand alone complex where some very real current issues of japan were addressed; citizenship, refugees, aging population with a low birthrate, corporate competition, child labor, political turmoil in the parties, etc. And then on another level with cyberpunk there is the burning question; are humans just machines? I personally love the genre [BLADE RUNNER] because it makes me think so much.

With a fantasy world you get taken into a very unique experience that cyberpunk or sci-fi does not usually offer. Instead of being taken into the human psyche or a dystopian version of our own world where things have gone wrong we are transported to a truly amazing place where things we can only imagine are common place. It is like going on a hike as opposed to going shopping at the mall. I think some of studio Ghibli's stuff does this incredibly well with the focus being on the experience of being in the world more than the explanation of why it is the way it is. I am happy to develop this steam punk story until another idea comes along or people decide against it .

Hmm, Romance in manga. I am imagining that they do have large weapons, like cannons or catapults or balistas but they are slow loading, cumbersome, and most useful in ship to ship or machine to machine battles. Sort of like siege warfare. I just watched Ben Hurr this last weekend and am thinking of the sea battles where they were launching fire balls towards each other while ramming their ships and then invading with swords and shields on the decks. As opposed to having slaves row the steam punk machines, I am thinking they are shoveling coal and working the boilers. Got to love the boiler rooms.

For the big machines I am imagining taking traditional architecture; for instance with a chinese influence we could use the forbidden city along with its incredible gargoyles and then cross it with a giant boat, airship, or train. I am imagining something the size of the entire forbidden city moving along either in the air or on the sea. Then, splash in some mythology, like the chinese dragon for various smaller devices like smaller warships and so on.

I agree that the politics of the conflict should have little to do with the characters I want to interact on a smaller and more personalized stage. Kings and Emperors should remain on their thrones as most people, even high ranking ones involved in the war, would never meet them. I do not want to see characters single handedly turning the tide of battles with their skills. Instead the conflict should be so big that only the pieces that touch the characters are even comprehensible. If there is a guild I am imagining it being operated out of a giant floating pyramid, Egyptian style with Pharaoh and all. And this might just be years of final fantasy fandom talking, but there have to be airships and maybe levitating islands etc.

As I am actually planning on putting this together I think a shorter arc in a fantastic world would be great and much easier than a long term serialization. Even a long one shot would do the trick for me.