View Single Post
Old 2009-09-20, 08:22   Link #4
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Just a reminder that 802.11g is many times faster than the speed of your external connection. I have a FiOS connection with 20 MBit downstream; that's less than half the 54 Mbit speed of 802.11g. I can routinely hit 2+ Mbyte/sec (16 Mbit) speeds on well-seeded torrents.
It's true that I will never hit those speeds unless I get Optimum Boost 30/5 or Ultra 108/15 which is unnecessary for my use since I'm not hosting a server (and remember, this is my only choice for faster internet since Verizon doesn't care about putting FiOS in my neighborhood and never will, even if our neighborhood is a middle class/upper middle class). However, I do think Wireless N can help since the range sucks and the 5GHz range can help with the interference issue and I transfer files from computer to computer (and both have Wireless N cards which can't be used on a Wireless G network) and it's painfully slow on Wireless G since Wireless G transfer rates depend on your signal and the house is old which can affect the signal strength.

Theoretically, Wireless N speeds supposed to have speeds up to 100 mbps Ethernet, so in a sense, it should be fast as ethernet.