View Single Post
Old 2012-10-28, 05:50   Link #72
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It's cultural.

Go to Rock Paper Shotgun or other American gaming blogs and look at reviews of indie Japanese games like Recettear, Fairy Bloom Freesia, stuff like that.

Look at the comments section.

Nine out of ten comments will be some Internet tough-guy spewing profanity about "girly Japanese shit."

This is America, where it's not fit for masculine consumption unless it's dark, brooding, gritty, blood-spattered and has a color palette containing every shade of brown imaginable. In America, it's "girly" unless the lead is a male, hypermasculine muscle-bound wall of meat with a gun in each hand and a DD-cup, impossibly-proportioned supermodel in his lap.

Westerners don't get the moe aesthetic very well, unless they're already entrenched in the anime/manga fandom. As a woman, I really wish this stupid stereotype would go the hell away--I'd love to see more cute in Western media.

And less brown. Please, there are more colors than brown--use them. Far Cry was colorful as hell--did it make your testicles shrivel up and drop off?

(Please, for the love of ALL THAT IS HOLY, give me an MMORPG with K-MMO/JRPG art style, moe aesthetics--at least one of the races, or give me enough sliders to make my characters cute--but a minimally-grindy Western-style PvE endgame with limited RNG.

I WILL THROW MONEY AT YOU IF YOU DO THIS.
)