Thread: Licensed Red Garden
View Single Post
Old 2006-10-11, 08:50   Link #85
wao
OK.

Just in from episode 2. This was again a well-directed episode - I thought the splicing of the 'normal life' scenes with the 'horror' scenes was expertly done because I didn't feel like either one dragged on for too long.

But the real star of today's episode was, beyond doubt the voice acting. (IMHO, of course.)
I was really bowled over by the performances. I can see a lot of people getting pissed with this episode because there was a lot of screaming girls - but this is one of the very few times it's worked so well for me. In every scream, you could feel the true fear of the girls from running away from that thing. I've had dreams like that and once ended up screaming myself awake...

Coupled with the tense direction, I couldn't help but end up unconsciously going "eee!" at one point. Without even thinking! I don't think that's ever happened to me besides in the first episode of Blood+ when it comes to TV anime. I was so surprised!

But seriously, I felt the pain,tension, fear and relief of the characters for the most part. I was really impressed by the way that they could infuse even their breathing with these feelings. For example, Kate's trip to the washroom near the end... When they're all together hiding beside a car and they're still breathing quickly or whimpering even while the other two are talking, you can really feel the atmosphere.

In fact, it was almost funny at one point - where Kate and Rose are talking to each other on that rooftop - where the animation is so static that when Kate is speaking full of emotion and with so much variation, her face isn't reflective of it. The animation could be better, you know, considering that they've got prerecorded acting. But I guess they wanted to focus on the really pretty drawings. It was sufficient for the most part though (although the animation of the monster-man was a bit distractingly off)

I was kind of disappointed that the singing still continued.
Spoiler for not really a spoiler, but to save space:

In the context of eggplant's poster which AisuruMirai pointed at, it seems like there is a point. But still... meh.

As for what happened, maybe some people will be disappointed, some people wouldn't, but I don't think it was really that bad.
Spoiler for ep 2, really a spoiler:

EDIT: By the way, Lula looks really vampirish if you saw the screenshot that says "00:18:10" on MrProphets screenshots here.