View Single Post
Old 2007-10-26, 02:26   Link #740
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
What colour is Haruhi's hair exactly? Depending on the level of detail and artwork, it seems to be black, "tea brown" or reddish brown.

Suiseisiki from Rozen Maiden seems to rotate between the last two as well...
The standard "black" hair of the Japanese I'd think. It's just colored up a shade to brown because that's just the art style. Most of the classmates have brown hair. So I take it this is the standard color for Japanese people in the show. (Of course, nobody really comments on the more exotic hair colors that named characters have.)

Black hair isn't really fully black. It's actually just a very very deep shade of brown. If you can get enough light shine through it, you can actually see the brown. This is particularly noticeable if the person in question has long hair.

Seriously, try it sometime with a friend's hair. Pluck out a few hairs and hold it up to a good light source.

I have two ideas about Haruhi's hair:
1) The artists are just being inconsistent.
2) You're seeing a shading effect of lighter and darker portions. This pretty much happens to every character in the anime. Occasionally it's because of a light source. Generally it just looks nicer to shade it that way for a neat little "shiny hair" effect.

Last edited by Twisted Reality; 2007-10-26 at 02:52.