View Single Post
Old 2004-03-16, 02:58   Link #36
gundamfans

Sorry, I know both Mandarin and Cantonese, no headache for me. I can guarantee you, many Japanese phrases sounds just like Mandarin. I AM DEAD SERIOUS. Of course not the language in general, I am just saying SOME objects and phrases. I really do not understand how Hungarian suddenly is related to Japan...

Also, by no means am I saying that the chinese groups are NOT translating from ear. I'm just saying that because Japanese and Chinese are rather similar to a certain extent, it is easier to fully represent the dialogue intended for the audience. Sometimes, there are stuff that English just can't express, but can be expressed in Chinese.

Some small info on me: I'm from Hong kong, lived, born and breed there. My first language is Chinese (cantonese). No one lecture me about Cantonese or chinese culture.

I am not saying that Chinese and Japanese culture are identical. I'm saying they're similar. Just one real common thing, Japanese and Chinese both use chopsticks. We drink a lot of tea. We have the similar culture i.e. respect elders/teachers/family members etc. I certainly do agree that the same kanji might have different meanings, but I am just saying that Chinese language and Jap language are similar. It makes it easier to fully express the original language than English. I'm not saying because they're close together, therefore similar culture. I'm looking at them separately regardless of their geographic locations. The France shares border with Germany argument is irrelevant here.
gundamfans is offline   Reply With Quote