View Single Post
Old 2011-05-16, 14:18   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
There are times when the sexist undertones of the comments are creepy (Kannagi et al) and there are times when a simple story shouldn't be complicated with stupid angst.

Thing is, Anjou is an innocent, naive girl who's in love with a shut-in childhood friend since forever. She doesn't know her way around said shut-in, much less that scary world of teenage romance and an even scarier world of horny unscrupulous older males. Making her explicitly non-virgin raise all sorts of questions about her being taken advantage of, as opposed to someone moving on, finding love and acting on it and becoming an adult.

If someone complain about potentially non-virgin female characters in, say, Kuragehime, screw 'em. Ano Hana however is about a bunch of young people who couldn't grow up in their own way, weighted down by a childhood tragedy. They're still children in so many ways.
In almost all ways, I would say. Nice post.

I really don't see any parallel with Kannagi here at all, and I don't see why anyone should have to defend themselves for not wanting Anaru to be taken advantage of by some sleazebag in his 20's. She's a naive, inexperienced little girl in a lot of pain. You don't have to be some obsessive fanboy to feel empathy with her and want to see her protected.