View Single Post
Old 2012-01-17, 00:58   Link #27085
Toku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealym View Post
Bern, however, doesn't like losing. She enjoys mistreating Erika, but I'm pretty sure she would rather Erika were a winning piece than a failing one.
Erika is her double, and she would be quite interested in the possibility that Erika would win when the odds aren't on her side, using the arguments of the Fantasy side against them and trolling them mercilessly. In fact, I'm not sure she accepts anything as a "win" unless Erika solves absolutely everything in an entertaining way.

That said, I acknowledge that this looks a little OOC.

Quote:
About Readers : To be frank, I've always been confused about what Ryukishi seems to think Reader's do. I can't imagine they'd add anything to an already written tale besides tone of voice, and commentary on the story. EP8, however, gives the impression that a Reader can choose to just ... make stuff up instead of reading what's on the page before them.

It wouldn't bother me, really, if not for Bern's "a reader will just slip lies into the words I wrote", as it conflates external commentary with the narrative that's written.

To put it another way, many read Romeo and Juliet as a great romantic tragedy about fate and all, yes? But many also read that play and say "what a bunch of stupid rich kids." That's what a Reader sort of feels like, to me - they comment on what's written, and have a particular slant on the events ... but they can't just change what's there. If I say "Romeo slew Tybalt in the streets like the cur he is", that's my commentary, but that's not me "reading the tale as written". I'm probably just being more literal than Ryukishi intended, but that's my take on it.
It's the definition of "magic." You take the same result, and you fabricate a different process, which leads to the same result. While most people who read books probably don't do this, you could if you want. And it is a very effective weapon on the witch side of the battle. In fact, without it, you're way more likely to lose against anyone who knows how to play.
Toku is offline   Reply With Quote