Thread: Proposal AnimeSuki Reviews Subforum
View Single Post
Old 2015-05-31, 09:10   Link #13
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just so people know, I'm thinking about the questions relentlessflame raised to Akuma Kinomoto. But for now, I wanted to address what cyth wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post

I agree on attention-splitting, any change that introduces it potentially threatens discussion threads. It's not worth it, the forum is already losing posters as is.
Part of the reason why I put forward this AnimeSuki Reviews subforum idea is that I'm getting the same sense that you are. Anime Suki has seemed a little bit slower to me in the last year or two than in previous years.

I have to be frank, I think the forum could use some new life shot into it (largely for that reason, I'm glad for the recent forum restructuring). It's a very well-ran forum in general, to the credit of the Moderator staff, but with the one major exception that it has felt a bit staid to me in recent years.

AnimeSuki's initial raison d'être was providing anime torrents. People would flock to this site for the torrents, and then notice "Hey, this place also has a forum for anime discussion! Maybe I should check it out."

But this torrent appeal has been lost in recent years.

ANN has its news and reviews (whatever you think of them ), and MAL has its highly convenient way of helping you put together a thorough listing of everything you've watched and use it to link you up with other anime fans that share the same tastes and show/character preferences as you do. MAL is also known for its series summaries and reviews.

What does Anime Suki now have to compete with this? Well, I definitely think it's the best site for anime discussion, after having lurked on MAL and ANN and a few other anime message boards. I also think that Anime Suki is very well laid-out in general. But these are the sort of things that you actually have to be a part of AnimeSuki for awhile (or lurk it for awhile) to fully appreciate.

Now, what if AnimeSuki gains a greater reputation of being a good place to find anime series reviews and recommendations? That could drive more people to the site. It could attract more new members.

I never brought this up in the OP because I'll admit it's slightly "pie in the sky" thinking. But honestly, I think this site should probably try something to act against the sort of decline that you're seeing and that I'm also seeing.

Now, to address your specific complaint with a hypothetical example. I recently finished the anime Kimikiss. If this site already had an AnimeSuki Reviews series subforum, I probably would post a review of it there. The actual Kimikiss series thread has seen no activity in almost two years. You really think someone writing about Kimikiss on an AnimeSuki Reviews subforum would hurt the amount of discussion on the Kimikiss series thread?

Keep in mind that these reviews would be for shows that are already finished and without an AS subforum. I really don't think that would be hurting active discussion. If anything, I think it's likely to breath renewed interest into already finished series (some long finished, like Kimikiss).

Last edited by Triple_R; 2015-05-31 at 10:19. Reason: refining argument
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote