View Single Post
Old 2010-06-05, 00:56   Link #71
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Hinata-Yui was rather unconvincing because, as many have already said, the buildup just isn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
There might not be buildup but there had been more than enough hints here and there throughout the whole show which should convince you that it's natural for them to end up being a pair. Heck, even in the ending animation (except this episode of course), they appear together with Yui clinging onto Hinata. You can count all those hints as "buildup", if that makes you more satisfied.
I thought it was there. Sure it might not be an obvious relationship, but Hinata and Yui were always fighting and wrestling, but in a way that made them seem like good friends. You know what happens to good friends of the opposite sex in anime. It actually made for kind of a cute couple as well, a paralyzed girl and a baseball player. One of the lovers completes the other, so it lends itself to be very romantic. Though I admit that it was a bit sudden, I can't say that I would pass up on a great chance like that either if I was Hinata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyy54264 View Post
Anyone else getting the feeling that they're not actually dead?

My theory is that you do not disappear if you've actually dead. Of the background stories we know so far, how the characters have died has not been explored.

We last only saw Iwasawa in the hospital before she "arrived" in the afterlife. Yuri's death is still a mystery. Likewise with Hinata, Naoi and Yui. Feels strange to leave a giant loophole like that. I remember someone a while ago said that they're not actually dead and are just unconscious somewhere. I'm starting to think this is the case. We're pretty sure Otonashi died hence why he and Kanade are not disappearing even after coming to acceptance with their regrets. Those who have disappear are returning to their unconscious body and would also further explain the reason why Kanade is helping everyone to disappear. Just my speculation.
Sorry but I can't go along with that theory still. It makes too much sense that they are dead for me to believe otherwise. Plus I know plot armor is strong, but plot armor doesn't bring you back from a coma that lasts THAT long, and especially when you have nothing positive to live for like most of the characters that potentially fit the list of comatose teens. Though I will admit there is that lack of knowledge there that allows this theory to exist, but I myself can't recognize it due to the immense amount of inconsistencies that would result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaFire View Post
I was also surprised and enjoyed the appearance of a wheelchair. Since Key loves their girls and wheelchairs. It made me chuckle.
Dude, wheelchairs are like sports cars. It doesn't matter who you are, if you're driving one around you're getting laid.

Edit: Maybe I should actually say something about the episode instead of conversing. This was actually a surprisingly interesting episode. I didn't suspect that it would be centered around one character, but then at the same time it really wasn't. We know now (though I wasn't surprised in the slightest) that Hinata also shares the same opinion as Otonashi and Kanade. On another note, I was never a big fan of Yui but this episode really did justice to her, and especially since I think a lot of us might not have even thought about what her life must have been like. I suppose it was obvious from the beginning that, evidenced by her upbeat attitude in the afterlife, her death was giving her a second chance at life (ironic right?). Angel Beats! has been doing a great job of making fun of its viewers for not seeing the really, really obvious things right in front of them. Yet again (second time in a row too) I've been insulted by this show by being told something that was so painfully obvious it should have been noticed sooner. As far as the ending goes, I'm concerned to see yet another twist around the corner, and really if they're going to be ending soon they should just get to the point. <_< Though it would appear this is some big finale.

Edit^2: Poster below me sums it up pretty well. Generally ascension past afterlife is both coming to terms with your previous existence, and being fulfilled and ready to pass on to the next stage. Hence the "lack of regrets" that they keep going on about. As far as Iwasawa goes, I think she had a hard time coming to terms with her fate to be mute for the rest of her life. Her passing was rather vague and random as it was, but I guess she accepted her fate for some reason.