Thread: Licensed Kore wa Zombie Desuka?
View Single Post
Old 2011-03-29, 09:18   Link #2030
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Doesn't he come from the underworld? I mean, he apparently killed one of those Abyssal ones or whatever (maybe those shadows in that one frame which probably is less than insignificant at this point?) and his deadpan face really makes him seem like he's lived for quite some time now. Plus consider all the people who would keep dying around him while he outlives everyone ever important to him. All in all the wish to die after having lived through a long enough immortality (that's quite subjective anyway, right?) is fine no matter how you look at it. That's one part where I think Ayumu is being a bit too carefree about although it's really fine right now since he hasn't actually experienced any negative side effects yet (besides the sun).
The "tired of living" argument doesn't work. He isn't sick of being alive; he is just sick of being forced to live with the choices he made in the past.

If death is all he wanted, he wouldn't have asked to be reincarnated. What he wanted was a blank slate; the blessing of starting his life over. Even if that means becoming a flightless bird catching fish in the ocean.

Keep in mind that all of the major characters in this show are all technically capable of living forever. An indefinite lifespan isn't a curse, but a way of life for them. It's just that if you did something you regret, and you couldn't live with yourself afterwards, you are stuck, It's a self-created hell. Immortality is not the bogeyman here.

And of course, what with the afterlife being confirmed to exist, immortality appear to be of rather limited use. Then again, you can have your soul destroyed and suffer true-death. But I don't think anyone likes that.