View Single Post
Old 2007-06-21, 06:03   Link #102
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Didn't think much of this episode. Other than the static electricity jokes, which made me seriously lol, the rest of the episode was rather bland, and reminiscent of the earlier eps in this series that I just simply didn't get most of the time. A bit disappointing, since after consecutive good episodes in the last fortnight (definition of good = made me laugh), I started thinking this show was on a turnaround, but I guess not... well, not at this stage anyway.

Being self-centric for a second, I really think there are times where this show just isn't accessible to, well, me. It bewilders me slightly that Hayate no Gotoku can fill an entire episode with references, and I can get the majority of them, yet come to this show and have the four or five references they make completely go over my head. I mean, is "obscure" a fair criticism for what is an otaku anime anyway? I guess it is from my point of view, since the reference-driven humour is lost on me most of the time. Same with the distinctly Japanese culture humour. It's not too different from Azumanga, but Azumanga somehow presented such jokes in a way that made them accessible enough, that one could understand the issue, even if one didn't know exactly what they were talking about. Lucky Star doesn't seem to be able to do this... but Lucky Star isn't exactly aimed at Westerners anyway.

I guess my problem with this show lies in the fact that I don't fall within its target audience, which people would probably argue isn't a problem with the show at all. I'm still not sure what I think of this show overall, since some episodes can have me laughing for the entire episode, and others, like this one, can have only one worthwhile gag. I do know that there are other better comedies in my books. This isn't bad, but I don't think it's great either, if only because the jokes aren't aimed at me and, more often than not, go over my head.