View Single Post
Old 2012-09-27, 23:29   Link #5388
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
My understanding is that it has less to do with current compensation and more to do with retirement funds. All the other leagues converted their referees' pension plans from the traditional system where there are guaranteed returns to a "401K" stock plan where the refs pensions are put into mutual funds that move with the market. As someone who has both, and who watched his 401K halve in value during the 2008 market crash, I can understand why the referees would prefer a traditional pension system.
Can't blame these guys. And I share your pain as I've also seen my portofolio shrink drastically. Either way, it was hilarious when the refs got a standing ovation from the stands when they took the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
On the MSNBC Morning Joe show, they reported that the actual cost to each team would average about $100,000! If anything this whole debacle shows how far wealthy Americans will go anything to break unions. Toss in the hypocrisy of Wisconsin governor Scott Walker throwing his support behind the union refs after his crusade to destroy public employees unions. Of course, in Wisconsin, nothing is more important than those Packers, even education and public safety.
Good old Mr. Walker. I saw Paul Ryan's take on it too, and he was equally enlightening.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote