View Single Post
Old 2008-06-21, 19:23   Link #1252
cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Multiple timelines can't exist, though. It's the whole point of the principle.

Unless Haruhi created the alternate timeline, it can't exist. Specifically, her powers only nullify the principle when used to do so.

In addition, a time traveler from an alternate timeline would more fall under the definition of "slider" than anything else.

Besides, Fujiwara has actually met Mikuru before, and since she doesn't remember, he probably means her older self.
Well what I'm saying is that if there's a possibility that in the future she does so, then that future can't be any more privileged than the "original" because when Haruhi overwrites, she overwrites everything
So yes, Haruhi overrides the principle only when she actively uses her powers, but when she does do so it applies to all time, so even the possibility of her doing so in the future, unless it is definitely resolved by Haruhi herself, is enough to allow another timeline to semiexist, in the sense that it's not really secure unless the other timeline is eliminated.
Also, if there were two timelines, I would say that they would both be part of the universe, competing to be "the" timeline, and neither would really be an alternate, unless you define the less likely one as such.

Look, I'm not saying that the books make this obvious or there is tons of (or even any) evidence for this. I'm just saying that the wide scope of Haruhi's powers make such an interpretation possible, and we won't really know for sure until Tanigawa resolves it (whenever that happens...).

Also, I've always interpreted Fujiwara's statement more along the lines of, they've met each other while maneuvering through the past, and possibly fought.

Edit: Just to make my point especially clear. Supposed Haruhi has some chance in the future of creating another timeline, or even just changing the timeline. Then if that timeline sends people to the past to before she changes things, you would expect to see those people in the past. It's Haruhi's power which allows such sketchy things as possibilities of people to have a somewhat real existence.
cicero is offline   Reply With Quote