Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2006-04-26, 00:22   Link #239
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Saw episode two.

A drastic improvement in both animation and soundtrack qualities from episode one. There were more variety in the background tracks played, and this time I could perceive that the Simoun CGI effects blended suitably with the watercolor landscape. Even I could feel inside the cockpit observing the Simoun flying by.

I really did not feel anything out of the norm with Neville's flashback of Amuria greeting her as her pair with the kiss. On the contrary, I felt it something natural like a formality from Amuria to greet her pair and welcome her, though I won't deny that Neville could have felt a connection to Amuria.

Aeru is solid about staying 'Simoun Simula' until the war is won. She's an interesting character within the all-broke-out war theme, unlike other main protagonists, she's got a plain morality about enemies always been enemies. Henceforth, she's not distressed about fighting to death or having to take enemies' lives in the battlefield.
However, I'm not fond for her hasty and reckless attitude about her views on the war for the start. Though its necessary so as for her to grow up, learning sooner or later that the invader nation are driven by need or motivated to retrieve Simoun technology.

Then, I continue with Paraietta who brings to me memories of Mai-Otome because her voicing is done by Ami Koshimizu, sounding exactly alike to Nina Wong.

Lastly, for my last impression I think that Erif overreacted after coming out from the spring. As a girl, 'he' could just had remained a Simula until the war was won thus giving 'him' more time to properly reflect about 'his' choice. The elders commented that they cannot force the Simula's decision to go to the spring, furthering evidence that nobody partaked in 'his' decision.
'He' simply went to the spring as felt obligated to carry on the ritualistic tradition. 'He' did not take into thought seriously the pros and cons of whether becoming man or staying as a woman. It was the pressure that stressed 'him' and strained 'his' future vision just because 'he' had to visit the spring as a must-do duty.

A note to Doremi fansubs: You made a mistake with the age. After turning 17, the girls decide whether or not to visit the spring to choose their gender.

Juunana sai means seventeen-years-old from Japanese Romaji.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote