View Single Post
Old 2011-02-20, 19:14   Link #7986
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
So the only reason a powerful character should get action is if they're broken powerful? Huh? This whole part reaks of "makes no sense."
No I'm saying that only 'broken' characters should get the spotlight (antagonist typically) and the appropriate hero to take them out...as in someone who can actually do something. You keep asking for Mikoto to be involved in fights Touma has been in or at least involved in general. There are only a handful of instances she could be somewhat useful, but most of the time she's dead weight. That's just how the story works...she's powerful, but not 'broken' powerful.

Quote:
Except you're not considering that Mikoto would try to help regardless, and furthermore she wouldn't be going into the fight knowing about Divine Punishment in the first place. You're relying entirely too much on out-of-series and "calling the score after the game is over" reasons.
It's been awhile since I read v13, but did Touma know about Divine Punishment before heading into battle? Not that it matters since know about it or not, activate the parameters for DP and you're out cold. And since we all know how emotional Mikoto can be...it shouldn't be that hard. Though let's say that she somehow bypasses DP, then yeah I agree that this is a fight Mikoto can actually take part in. My money is still on Vento if we compare their battle abilities and her wanton disregard for public safety.

Quote:
Well she's not a Level 0 and is instead a powerful Level 5, so......
And yet characters like Itsuwa and Kaori, characters without IB, get to help him out in fights. It makes no sense why Mikoto is different.
That's not the point I was trying to make AND THIS IS A LINE MIKOTO SAID HERSELF so regardless, she'll run straight into a battle like an idiot Level0/5. Because Itsuwa and Kaori are characters Touma consider to be COMRADES, while Mikoto is a character he considers to be someone that needs to be protected. They are professional magicians and hell one is a Saint that far exceeds Mikoto's battle capabilities and only appears in fights that she barely scraped by...they aren't some middle school girl that relies solely on her esper capabilities.

Quote:
You're also missing the point here.....
Why does everybody keep fixating on Railgun? I doubt Touma and Mikoto are thinking about how Mikoto has her own sidestory......
It's horrid writing that's keeping her out of action that's happening right next to her. Need to keep her from running into Sherry Cromwell? Have Touma and Kuorko get mixed up priorities and leave the defenseless girl in harm's way while getting the Level 5 out. Want to keep them away again? Have Sphinx suddenly run away for no reason to seperate Mikoto from Index. Plot holes/forced
reasoning. And the list only gets worse later in the series.
I think you're the one missing the point here. It's horrid writing to keep including her in the story when she serves no real purpose besides fanservice. She can only fight mooks ffs and she's still getting so many pages just to appeal to the fans. She's not like Itsuwa (who is really at mook level - as much as I like her) who possesses a move capable of defeating someone like Acqua. She's just an electromaster...powerful in its own right, rather weak in the overall Toaruverse.

You also have to understand not only Touma, but Kuroko. She acknowledges her onee-sama's capabilities, but she also doesn't want to put herself in harm's way. She made the decision to teleport her out and it fits within her characterization.

You have a point about Sphinx, but hey this is a Magic-side deal and Science-side characters typically don't get involved. That's just how the story works till WW3 and you'll just have to accept that.

Honestly this is just fanwank for more Mikoto...