View Single Post
Old 2012-03-09, 20:16   Link #83
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I understood the "idea" of gaming console (basically the user is outsourcing the maintenance to the manufacturer) but lack of a meaningful hardware upgrade path and other varieties of "fail to follow through" always left me a bit cold on consoles. Basically, our Xbox might as well be a "Rock Band appliance" (well sometimes we play FIFA soccer on it). Our Wii is used for bowling and for Swing Golf. My son sold most of the other games we've tried over the years... and 90% of our machine gaming is on PC. The new Google Market for games is having a sale this weekend for Droids.... "World of Goo" for the phone, etc.
The idea of a game console made a lot of sense in the 80s and even the 90s. It stopped making as much sense in the late 90s and early 2000s. It makes almost no sense now.

Portable consoles have always struck me as far more sensible than their livingroom-bound counterparts, but with device convergence at an all-time high I expect to see those merge with smartphones soon enough. It's already happening. iOS is a major gaming platform and the Xperia Play is literally a smartphone crossed with a PSP.