View Single Post
Old 2011-06-16, 14:55   Link #11
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post

I'm not saying second hand sales are illegal. They are very legal, but asking the question "are they ethical?" You're not actually buying ownership of the game. You're buying a license to use it. It's more like a car rental. None of the value of a game is in it's physical structure, all the value is in it's design. The actual game itself probably cost less then a 3$ to package and ship.

Furthermore, as entertainment goes, games are probably one of the most economical out there. At release a game is 50-60$, but you can usually expect 20-60 hours gameplay from that. Compare that to a DVD which will be 20-30$ but only 3 hours entertainment at most. And that's not taking into account that after a year or two on release you can usually get buy new for 20-30. There's no reason financially not to buy the games you like new. Anime and movies, there's some reason there as the price is absurdly high for what you get.
Which is why I rent 90% of what I play. After I beat a game, I almost never play it again, so it makes no sense for me to pay for a new game I will play once. Unfortunately for me publishers hate renters and it will surely be gone soon. Everything will be DDL games. When that occurs I probably will be out of game, just can't afford it.

As for movies, it is outrageous the cost for them. Again, I watch movies once, maybe twice. Again I rent. 2.59 for one night, walk two blocks and return it.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote