View Single Post
Old 2011-06-16, 15:02   Link #12
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghar View Post
Computer games are computer art, a mere binary data (stuff that has been made to be used on a computer, and can be used only on a computer). Selling something like that would be similar to second hand bread selling. Or by saying I acquired my driver licence cheaply because I obtained it second hand.

Producers might be robbers, and a lot of game developers are just normal people who, when presented with a hypothetical opportunity to earn more money, would scream money, but this second hand selling of a virtual item is the same as selling a snake oil. At least with a snake oil the person gets the oil of that poor snake and PETA wrath, with second hand sale the person would only encourages illegal selling.

Computer piracy at least would create some non obtrusive advertisement, and the game developer knows nobody was forced to pay money for his work. Second hand sales mimic behavior of shops that are selling real existing stuff, which takes volume, and which can be used without a computer.
On what planet are you living on?
A DVD/CD/etc, with whatever is on it (even nothing) is a product
In life, I'm allowed to sell everything I have, but you claim this doesn't apply to 'media'?

What's next? Carmanufacturers claiming their old cars are still theirs (hey they designed it, they 'drew' the blueprints)
The guy who originally made the house you are living in gets x% of your morgage for the next 70 years after his death?

Cut the BS, if selling a game or DVD 2ndhand is snakeoil, then it was already snakeoil leaving its manufacturer

To kill another analogy: I don't own the themepark, yet I am allowed to sell the ticket I just bought to someone else, same as the movietheatre, same as a ticket to the races or a concert