Thread: Tokyopop
View Single Post
Old 2003-11-17, 20:45   Link #8
LynnieS

From TokyoPop, I'd go for "Wish", which is by CLAMP also. It's a four-book series about an angel's relationship with a human doctor; it's an early work. "X/1999", I hear, is good, but I've never read the books for myself.

Del Rey is also putting out CLAMP's "Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle" in early 2004. There's an associated title that is linked to this one, "XXXholic", but I hadn't picked up the book yet. Various CLAMP characters are in these.

"Marmalade Boy", also from TokyoPop, is very good also. The manga covers eight books with the anime coming out in April 2004. It's shoujo and heavy on the relationships. Something of a feel-good soap opera. The author of this title, Yoshizumi-san, wrote "Ultra Maniac" also, which isn't available in English manga [yet].

"Clover" is... IMHO, a little bit weird. I've only read the first book; the quality of the book is higher than the usual so cost-wise, it's higher. Think of the main character as the predecessor of Chii, but human/mutant instead of an android.

"Kare Kano" is the manga for "His and Her Circumstances". Also very good, and the anime is faithful to the manga. Book 6 should be out by now too. Quality of the art has gone down, I think, though.

"Wild Act" is like a homage to James Dean(?). Girl loves dead but really famous actor and falls in love with good-looking and talented guy who is mentioned in the same breath as her hero.

Last edited by LynnieS; 2003-11-17 at 20:58.