View Single Post
Old 2009-07-26, 05:58   Link #9
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
And do you honestly think a judge would believe something like that?
Not to mention that the law doesn't admit ignorance... so an excuse like that would be shoot down immediately.
Before I wrote something wrong: http downloads are even worse than centralized p2p... an example of centralized p2p was napster, but an http download is even less secure because the provider you're downloading a file from (MegaUpload, RapidShare and such) can see evreything you're doing and knows what file you're downloading, when you finish it and at what percentage of the download you're at. It has all of these information in a nice text file and it can turn it over to the authorities when they would ask for it.
Sure downloading from it is way faster: they're connected to gigabit backbones, so they have plenty of bandwidth, but they have nothing to do with privacy!
I think in p2p world an equation may be done:
more privacy = less bandwidth

or another way to view the issue:
more bandwidth = less privacy.

You're making a big mistake here, one of which would make the copyright associations very happy: you're criminalizing p2p as a whole. The various p2p protocols are perfectly legal, in fact they're used to distribute game patches, linux isos and so forth. What is llegal is distributing copyright materials without having the right to do it... please not that in almost all of p2p systems uploader and downloader are the same, because you upload portions of a file you already have while you're downloading other portions you don't have.
hmm under privacy laws the authorities are not capable of simply asking a host for this kind of info, the host will not allow it because it is against the law of privacy for their client, it isn't THAT simple to get that kind of information unless you're downloading CP
besides even your internet provider knows what you are doing, they can get everything from them and even see in their files that you are using an anonymous p2p program, the authorities are not stupid whether it is torrent, p2p or direct download there will always be someone watching you and it isn't the website creator, I think you forget that, Anon p2p may hide what files you are downloading but as soon as a program goes online your internet provider will have it listed and when they read p2p don't expect them to think you're on it just to chat to people or something, they know you are downloading things, most of the times it is through a provider that the authorities gather their evidence and not through a host site like megaupload
on the internet there is no such thing as privacy, you can hide a little info but there will always be a leak and having that isn't always that bad unless you don't want to get caught downloading CP or something, I don't know where you live but not in every country do we get sued for downloading something like straight away unless you REALLY mess up, if that was so then anon p2p would probably be a lot more popular and torrents wouldn't even exist or would be closed down
even if there is less privacy you can still get caught >.< the trade for less bandwidth would hardly make any sense when your provider can still read what you are doing and if authorities can see from them that you've been p2ping they will claim your pc and then privacy is pretty much useless cause they can simply see what you tried to hide

also not every where is downloading illegal, why would I want to switch if in my country it is allowed to download series and movies if it is for personal use, the only thing that is illegal is downloading software, games and uploading for other people but the government doesn't do anything about it anyway unless you start selling DVD's or software on the web or street

besides it isn't as if anon p2p programs are foul proof many studio's are still suing them because they know of copyright infringement, like your provider to collect evidence they need it from and can still get it from a source, how I see it is that your privacy is simply hidden somewhere else but not unobtainable, when it comes to court they will get that info, that or the p2p company will get sued themselves and we all know what happened to piratebay

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2009-07-26 at 06:27.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote