View Single Post
Old 2009-08-11, 12:17   Link #1829
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
if Brera and Ranka are unrelated, then how can we understand Ranka's past history?? Turn Brera into Ranka's friend from her childhood??

Nah, we need someone who can connect to Ranka's past history...Brera being Ranka's big bro is the ideal way to achieve that purpose
Actually Childhood Friend achieves about the same purpose since in anime term's it's practically "a person who acts like your sibling who is not related to you and you can totally bang"

(Hello AirGear)

Besides, the series sort of ended up feeling rather crowded by the end since she had Ozma as her adopting brother, Alto as a love interest who ACTS like a brother, and finally Brera who pops out and turns out to be her genetic brother. To remove one brother figure wouldn't be too much of a disaster if it didn't mean justifying Ranka's complete lack of character development >_>;

My dislike of Ranka has always been her total lack of awareness when it came to people important to her, and total incapability of doing things that aren't simply for the benefit of her own self interests. I don't think as a character she intends to be selfish, but her actions have always been and continued to be self absorbed to the very end >_>;

By placing Brera the "Yes everything you do is good and should be done" character as her final love interest just leaves her stuck in that depressing pithole. We need a love interest that SHE needs to be proactive about, something she wasn't capable of doing with Alto >_> otherwise she's just going to remain a reliant character who always needs to find someone who worships her from head to toe and lets her do whatever hell she wants to do regardless of morals and consequences.

She also needs to be put into situations where her unreasonable whims aren't always justified by her being right at the end of the day, like the time she argued with Ozma over her singing career which...honestly Ozma had every right to oppose at the time, but whose parenting was thwarted by Ranka's brilliant stroke of luck caused by her singing in a mall where bystanders decided to provide her with professional sounding acoustics, and allowing some scouting agent to so conveniently pass by.

Or that other time when she decided to drag her friends into a war zone to sing at an angry army mob solely for the purpose of looking good to Alto, which of course landed with her NOT being pummelled to death, which should have been the more probable result when a midget girl lands in the middle of a giant fight (lol pun) singing and acting cutesy.

Or that infamous "GOODBYE ALTO YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD, I'M LEAVING WITH BRERA TO SAVE MY ALIEN WHOSE KIND ONLY MOMENTS BEFORE SKEWERED YOUR BEST FRIEND TO DEATH!!!!" moment where everyone became dunces because, SURPRISE! despite all the meaningless slaughtering the Vajiras were good! Joke's on you Alto!

*breathe* Point is, she shouldn't be further placed in and paired with characters and situations where she's inevitably just going to do whatever hell she wants while being rewarded for doing so. If Brera was a character that had some sort of self-control I wouldn't have minded, but the fact is his mindset is disturbingly like Ranka's =____________=

*whacks slutbot*

He lives in a bubble, and kind of wants Ranka to do the same, and it's just bad since the root of a lot of Ranka's character flaws is her inability to empathize >___>;