View Single Post
Old 2012-01-25, 12:40   Link #27299
Toku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Because she was lied to by absolutely everyone. Why is this hard to understand? Beatrice at least was honest in her presentation of the format, if not the intention of her conversation with Battler. By your ideas, no one - Battler included, mind you - was ever honest to Erika. None of her powers were real; anything she did, she did because someone threw her a scrap and claimed it was her own doing when it clearly wasn't. The Logic Error was just another trick to convince her that she had any measure of control when in actual fact she didn't.

If Erika cannot even rely upon the perspective she's told she has and the abilities she has supposedly been given, then she existed solely to be manipulated and destroyed. She was of no use to Bernkastel from the start, she was no threat to Battler, and Lambdadelta screwed with her freely. And why did any of this happen? There was no reason. They did it for nothing but witches' cruelty, every single one of them.

No wonder she tried to take vengeance on them. They deserved it.
Well, I don't know about all of that.

It is still a battle of reasoning, and she is extremely intelligent. She had more of a chance than Battler ever did in the first 4 games.

Her perspectives weren't that unreliable. Her Piece should have access to the Mystery side of the story, and she can watch the Fantasy side from the Meta World. All of this will give her many vital clues with which to begin reasoning.

Her objective was always the same: destroy the illusion of the witch. But she didn't really focus on that goal, and instead focused on trapping Natsuhi and BATTLER. That was her own mistake.

Even though the cat box hadn't been opened, she decided for herself that her perspective must be THE single, objective truth. Nobody ever deceived her into believing something like that. Certainly, on the Mystery side, her Piece's perspective is supposed to be very close to the truth of the current game. You can't use Fantasy to trick that perspective. However, it isn't quite at the level of Red Truth. And nobody ever said it was.

This applies to real life too, of course. Just because we observe something, we believe it's true, even though it's not at the level of Red Truth. In fact, Red Truth doesn't even exist in our world. All we can do is choose what to believe in.

That's the very definition of "Anti-Mystery." I don't know if you read that TIP or not, but anyway, this is what it says.

For example, you'll probably think it's ridiculous if I tell you that the world you're seeing right now is a dream and the world of your dreams is reality. But could you prove that I'm wrong? Anything you could say wouldn't be at the level of Red Truth. It might be close, but in the end, it's just not there. Because humans can't reach that level of truth on their own.

I'm not the one who decided that Umineko would be like this. Ryukishi wrote it this way.

And this is where his "without love, it cannot be seen" line comes in. In a world of Anti-Mystery, what you believe is decided by your love. If you want to believe something, you certainly will. But just because you believe something, doesn't necessarily mean it's true.
Toku is offline   Reply With Quote