View Single Post
Old 2012-04-11, 13:34   Link #28400
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I actually have, you just apparently didn't read them.

Maria talking with Battler is not the same thing as Meta-Battler and Meta-Beatrice interacting. One of these things happens within the context of a narrative which does not suggest actual awareness that a narrative exists (Maria's statements could be read entirely within the extant context of the "board" narrative, though we have no non-board narrative in Legend to speak of). One of them happens outside the context of an existing narrative by characters who not only are aware of the nature of the narrative, but compartmentalize it as something distinct from themselves about which they may interact, discuss, and even treat as sport. That they are characters in a fiction is obvious, because of course Umineko is fiction. That's not the point; the point is that they recognize that there exists a narrative which they are in some fashion responsible for yet not contained within. I think that distinction is clearly meant to be taken as important.

That aside, if the meta is part of the forgeries, then we actually know nothing about the thought processes of the reader, which we were directly told in later episodes we did have. There's really no point in Meta-Ange at all if she exists solely to be an in-fiction character.

I have no idea why you would think they are in the in-universe texts, assuming those texts exist. I grant that the texts might not, but I do not see the rationale behind believing the meta-narrative arc which is otherwise so functionally and thematically distinct from the rest of the narrative is in fact a self-contained part of it. It flies against the obvious rules of construction, the supposed information we have about its origins, and the apparent thematic purposes of the meta-world itself.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote