View Single Post
Old 2011-09-30, 15:29   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Just a few quick comments.

1) Drama is drama. It shouldn't be combined with any other category. House of Five Leaves and Hyouge Mono are both dramas, though neither have much romance, nor are they tragedies. (HM could have tragic moments down the road; at the moment, we've only got seven episodes to work with.)

2) I didn't see the option for having separate "best adaptation" and "best original" productions in the poll. I vote for having both. There are quite a few original productions this year, though we'll need to be careful to make sure shows are classified correctly.

3) I also think OP/ED songs need to be treated separately from scores. I'll be nominating the score for Hyouge Mono, but the (current) OP isn't much to write home about. (The original OP may deserve a nomination, but it was pulled by NHK after episode four when one of the performers was arrested for marijuana possession.)

4) I'm very mixed about merging fantasy and science-fiction. The best argument in favor of a merger is the small number of shows in these categories.

5) I will strongly reiterate my position that people be prohibited from nominating a show in more than one genre category. That just leads to the most popular shows dominating in multiple categories. A single show should be eligible for nomination in one genre category and one of the "best of" categories, but that's it. (Obviously the same show can appear in one or more production categories as well.)

6) I voted for the "supporting" categories, though they're probably the ones that should be axed first. The "worst character" category is useless and should be dumped.

The biggest issue that hasn't been addressed is the time period involved. We've used calendar years in the past, which has proven problematic when considering two-cour shows that premiere in the fall. Some have suggested starting with the fall and extending through the next summer, following the US model of a television year. I had a discussion about anime "seasons" over on ANN not long ago, and one contributor thought that it made more sense to follow the Japanese school year which begins in the spring. That would mean waiting until April to begin the "2011" Awards process. For this transition year, we'd need to include shows that were released over the 15-month period starting on 1/1/2011 and ending on 3/31/2012. After that we'd just run from April to April.

Here are some data for your consideration:

These are taken from AniDB (2010 data), including only non-hentai television series with "synonyms" excluded. I re-counted April, 2011, three times to convince myself there were really fifty new series released that month. April to April makes quite a bit of sense given these data.

Kudos to you for carrying on this fine tradition, Haak!

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-09-30 at 16:17.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote