Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-29, 19:39   Link #25504
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I find it telling that in times of great distress, communities instinctively fall back on these rituals to find solace and the strength to carry on. And this is what I feel is often lacking in the secular view of the world, the relative difficulty it has in reaching people on a deeper, heartfelt and perhaps primeval level.
I wonder if this is more out of habit and deeply ingrained social mores, though. It's certainly an interesting thing to consider, either way. Religion can probably, to some people, give the impression of more 'legitimacy' when paying condolences to the fallen, for instance. On the other hand, I don't think many secular individuals themselves would feel this way.

Regardless, I don't think too many people were checking up on each other's religion after that shooting. Everyone felt outrage and dismay and I think even the most fervent atheists and religious people can find some common ground in expressing shock and sadness in light of that horrible event. I certainly didn't need to attend a candlelit vigil or commune with my neighbors to reach my feelings of anger/horror - and my desire to see constructive changes made to prevent future such occurrences (even if I am not wise enough to think of them myself).